Thursday, September 23, 2010

Sud de France 1.0


Introduction:

In June of 2010 my wife Diane and I decided to pack up our lives and our cat and move to the South of France. I'm a writer and photographer and so I can do my work from anywhere. Then soon after we decided to move, in the middle of our packing, up an exciting new website started www.PIXIQ.com and I was asked become one of their contributors.
Although I've been a writer for over thirty years I've been reluctant to blog but when friends suggested I write about moving to France I realized that actually what we are doing is perhaps as the expression goes “ahead of the curve. Many of the issues we're dealing with will soon be the very ones that my younger boomer compatriots will be facing.

So sharing about our move and our new life made sense. These blogs will be a diary of our changes seen through a photographer's. And I’ll be posting lots of images so you'll be able to see the world we are going to. 
“Sud de France” is the new name the French tourism agency has given the Languedoc-Roussillon region of France because they think it is easier for English speakers, i.e. Americans, to remember. The region sits on the Mediterranean coast and has a warm climate with they say, about 300 days of sunshine a year. Although not as well known as Bordeaux and Burgundy it is one of the world’s largest wine producing regions. That’s our destination. 
1.0 --The beginning:  Paper, paper, and well, more paper.


Bureaucracy is a French word and going to France you need to understand it and learn to overwhelm it. To stay in France for any length of time you need a Long Stay Visa which gives one permission to remain in the country. To get one you need to provide the nearest French consulate with lots of paper. Proof of birth, marriage, citizenship and so on and on. Most importantly you need proof that you have enough money to help France overcome its economic woes.
Besides the Long Stay Visa I also wanted a Talent et Competences card which would let me legal sort of work in France. Note however that if you moved to someplace like Paris where you didn't have a car and you rented an apartment you might never ever have to show anyone a document much less a Long Stay Visa--no matter how long you lived there. 

But heading for the lovely small towns of the South we decided that 'rules is rules' and we would do our best to follow them, just to be on the safe side.
So we went down to San Francisco carrying five thick stacks of papers. Each was in a color coded folder and had a large ribbon holding it together. Diane put the ribbons on as a little French flourish.

We had rehearsed our presentation to the officials. I had a huge portfolio of photos and copies of books to amaze them with. We were ready for our close-ups!

But when we arrived at the Consulate we entered a small room with a dozen chairs and a long glass window behind which two guys were sitting. A TV in the room was set to TV5Monde and a show about Finnish deer roundups. The place felt like a dentist's waiting room more than the setting for an interrogation.
We sat down and waited nervously, keyed up after weeks of organizing and copying papers. Finally we were called we handed the guy behind the glass our papers. He looked them over and without saying much told us to put our fingers on the digital fingerprint device. Next to us a college age young woman was going through the same procedure and when asked to put her fingers on the device winced and said, "Ohhhh, eeecckkk, can I get a tissue to clean this?"
The room filled with gentle laughter. She cleaned the screen and then after getting her fingerprints taken we did ours. 


Then the guy behind the glass asked us the most important question of the day, "Visa or Mastercard?"


We flew back home later that day (the photo above is of Puget Sound where we live). A week later Fedex brought our Visas and a letter saying that I would be granted my Talent card and be an official "artist."

Of course there was one hitch to the card and that was that when we arrive I have to go to the Police for the card. I have to have a blood test to prove that I am not one of those disease ridden "La Boheme/Rent" artists.

And after the blood test I am sure that they will ask me that most important question for any visiting artist.

"Visa or Mastercard to pay the 275 Euros for the card?"

Photos and text © 2010 Steve Meltzer

No comments:

Post a Comment